One of the world’s mainline golf courses, the Oakland Hills South Course has been home to numerous U.S. Opens and PGA Championships including the 1996 U.S. Open. It has been nicknamed “The Monster” for good reason.
- Course designed by Donald Ross, opened in 1918
- 75.5 rating/137 slope
- 6988 total yards from championship tees
- 18 holes, Par 70
The course was remodeled by Robert Trent Jones in 1950, 1972, and 1984.
It was at the 1951 US Open that the course received its nickname, “The Monster.” Only two players that year had rounds under par. Ben Hogan’s 287 total won the Open and caused him to exclaim his joy at having “brought this course, this monster, to its knees.”
The 1924, 1937, 1951, 1961, 1985 and 1996 U.S. Opens were held on the South Course, as well as the 1972 and 1979 PGA Championships.